Huff HouseHuff House
The Huff House was built in and around 1855 and still stands majestically today as it did then. The house, a Gothic revival/folk vernacular home was originally built facing the railroad. However, in 1890 the home was purchased by Mrs. Linda E. Huff, who had the home turned around to face Selvidge Street like most of the other newer homes. This was accomplished by placing the home on a log turnstile powered by mules. The process took two weeks and the family remained in the home during the process.
The Civil War was a particularly interesting time for the house. In 1862, the Great Locomotive Chase passed by the house as it chugged through Dalton. The chase would end several miles up the track in Ringgold, Georgia. In the winter of 1863-64, General Joseph E. Johnston, commander of the Army of the Tennessee, located his headquarters in the home as he regrouped the 40,000 troops who were wintering in the Dalton area and preparing for what we now know as the Atlanta Campaign. During this tumultuous time, General Patrick Cleburne of the CSA proposed arming slaves to alleviate manpower shortages facing the Confederacy. This proposal was disregarded until very late in the war.
Since 2014, the Huff House has undergone restoration and remains as one of the most beautiful homes in Dalton. The property is governed by the Huff House Committee who rents the space out for meetings, parties, etc. If you would be interested in touring the home or renting the space please contact the Huff House Committee at 706-529-8082 or by email email@example.com
314 N. Selvidge Street Dalton Georgia 30720 United States